Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Part time at Public School

I received a question from someone who attended the Homeschool Law class at Convention. This person wanted her daughter to attend the PE class that Daddy taught at the local public school. I realized I must not have been very clear on how someone goes about attending a class or classes at your local public school. Just to clarify for any who were in the Convention class, I will post my answer to her email. It goes as follows...

Okay, I found the RCW. It is RCW 28A.150.350 and is found here.

Now just to make it clear because it is so easy for things to get muddled because of word usage...
you would be enrolling your child part-time for the one class. The district needs to understand that. I'm thinking that perhaps I wasn't clear when talking about that at convention because I was trying to fit so much information in such a short amount of time. By law we have access to public school classes (we're tax payers so we pay for them). The school will enroll the child for that class because the government will then pay them for having that child enrolled in that class. You still keep all of your child's other school records (the school will need immunization records but they can't ask for your child's math scores for example). So I'm thinking the confusion is with the fact that the school is saying your daughter can't participate without enrolling and I was telling you that you have access but wasn't clear about the fact that you will enroll for only the class or classes you want (not full time). Does that make sense? So I apologize if I was the source of the confusion and feel free to tell the school that the speaker wasn't clear and feel free to let me take the blame for the confusion. :-)

4 comments:

Emily the Great and Terrible said...

I found your blog!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. Pevensie said...

Yeh! Didn't I give it to you? So sorry if I was delinquent. I'll be a better friend. :-)

Author said...

Ok now you have to make the vaccination record more clear. Yes, the school does get a copy of the record. If you chose NOT to vaccinate turn the form over and sign the waver on the back. The school then has a record of of your choice not to vaccinate. If their is a contagious disease outbreak you child may be asked to stay home.

Mrs. Pevensie said...

Thanks Mrs. M, I told her that. That's a whole 'nother post! Super important info for those who don't vaccinate. So much info, so little time...

Glad to see you here visiting!