Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Convention~

I fully intended to tell everyone how wonderful convention was. Did I mention I get distracted? Well to read all of the cool things that happened you can go here (so that I don't have to type it). The group that helped put this convention together did a fabulous job. The only disappointment I have is that I get so busy having so much fun that I don't spend enough time shopping. I end up running around at the end trying to purchase cool things before the vendors get it all packed up. Of course this is no one's fault but my own. It also didn't help that I only had three checks in my checkbook and some vendors only take checks & cash. I thought maybe that was an act of God but then a couple of vendors actually let me take the items (one of which cost over $150), took my name and address, gave me theirs and proceeded to trust me to mail them payment. The one vendor stressed that in all of the years they have attended conventions, they have never had a problem with homeschoolers following through. Of course I didn't want to be the first so I sent the checks today.

So to all who worked hard to make this convention happen, here is a public thank you for all of the sweat and tears!

For those planning on attending a convention, here are some tips.
  • Plan ahead. If you have specific items you KNOW you need, make a list and purchase those right away. If you aren't truly decided, put it on the "maybe" part of the list.
  • Have a budget. Know what you can spend so you don't go willy nilly and spend your life savings only to end up with a pile of books/crafts/fun stuff that you'll never use.
  • If you KNOW you can't afford it, walk away very, very fast! If you stand there looking at it and drooling over it, you will probably end up taking it home and then wonder how to explain that one to your darling husband.
Remember, there are a LOT of great homeschooling materials out there. Unless something truly isn't working for you, don't feel the need to keep looking for other things. You can have the homeschool curriculum "flavor of the month" syndrome.

1 comment:

Emileesings said...

i had fun at the convention if that helps...lol.

Watching karate hanging out with andrea and that weird computer picture changing doohiky was cool!