Saturday, May 3, 2008

The last thing I need to do...

...being on this computer at 12:40am when I have to be at the convention bright and early...in a few hours. I just know someone is going to be excited after convention and come check my brand spankin' new blog...only to be disappointed. Never fear fellow educators! I promise to check in every day and post some pointers about Washington State Homeschool Law. Eventually all of the points I talked about at the convention will be on here. And if you are in a particular hurry and just HAVE to have an answer to some question right away...well, if you paid attention in class, you have my email address. If I was {yawn} boring and you fell asleep during that part then you'll just have to come back here on a regular basis. For those of you who know me, I'm sure you'll get a chuckle out of that because I love to talk and I can be a little rebel at times so I probably wouldn't let anyone get away with sleeping in my class anyway.

So my first reminder is all laws are open to interpretation. I highly recommend that everyone who homeschools read the actual law. So here is where you go...http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/ and click on Title 28A (Common School Provisions), under “Chapters” click on 28A.200 (Homebased Instruction). You want to read both 28A.200.010 and 28A.200.020. If you click on “complete chapter” you will get both. These will refer to RCW 28A.225 (Compulsory school attendance and Admission) so you will want read that also. Both 28A.225.005 and 28A.225.010. If you feel you have that "deer in the headlights" look after reading the law, don't worry. It's one of those things that can take several readings to "get it". Some of you will get it right away and wonder what in the world I'm talking about. It's okay, we are all at a different place in life and some of us can use a little help when it comes to reading government documents. I think many times people just feel intimidated by such things. Feel free to post questions. I'll do the best that I can to answer them. Once convention is over and we're back to a regular schedule (whatever that means), I post some "true homeschooling moments too".

For all who have come for a visit or attended my class, thanks so much for spending time with me!

No comments: