Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Price Gouging

Have you ever been stinking mad about the price of something? Yeh, that's one of those questions that no one has to really answer because with gas prices being what they are, I don't no anyone who would answer that with a negative. Although most people are just irritated about high gas prices. How about if the price of something directly affects your health or the health of someone you love? Is that irritating or are we boarding on the edge of fuming?

My mother called me the other day to ask if I had a way to get information out to people. She didn't mean just telling my friends but she really wanted to get some information out to a lot of people. Especially if the people had bitty babies or elderly folks they care for. I told her to send me her story and I would post it on my blog and any forums I visit. I wish you could have heard her tell the story. I suppose she was trying to be short and to the point but you can't hear her frustration or anger near as well in her writing. I'll let you read it before I comment any further.
--------------------


For those of you who have babies, especially a premie, or have the responsibility of caring for the elderly you need to read this.

My 83 year old mom spends most of her day lying in bed. As with many elderly people she is incontinent which often causes chafing. A week ago she had to undergo gallbladder surgery. Prior to that she went through some tests that required the clearing of her bowels. This of course caused the chafing to accelerate to the point of bleeding.

My niece, who is a nurse, used to work in the neo natal unit of a Dallas hospital. She suggested we get an ointment called Calmoseptine which is what they used on their premies. We were able to purchase this ointment at Good’s Pharmacy at $6.00 for a 4oz. tube and began using it on Mom. By the next day there was no bleeding and most of the redness was gone! Even the nurses were surprised.

Now, we live in a small town and Mom had her surgery in a much larger town an hour away. I tell you this because if you go to a store to buy Calmoseptine, depending on where you live, you might have to buy it through the pharmacy. I found this out when I went asking for it at Walgreens. They did have it at the pharmacy but only in a 2 ounce jar. Now here comes the gouging. This little 2 ounce jar was over $17.00!! There was no way I could pay that kind of money even if it had been 4 ounces!

Well, I went on line and got the contact information for the company which produces Calmoseptine. Then I called and spoke to the owner. He is a wonderful gentleman who runs a very small company making this great product. He shared with me what the selling price was to wholesalers and that’s when I got mad! Ladies this is your opportunity to help out this small business by buying direct from them and stop giving your money to the money grubbing big businesses. Their web site is www.calmoseptineointment.com. They do not take orders on line but you can call 1-800-800-3405 to order.


-------------------------------
Now the reason my mom wanted to share this information is because this stuff worked worked like a miracle. Her mother's skin was so damaged, it was bleeding. Okay, so let's do the math. That first tube they purchased in an adjacent town was 4oz for $6. That's $1.5 per ounce. They get to their town, where they have to purchase it in a pharmacy and it's $17 for a wimpy 2oz jar. Um, that's not going to go very far and you've just paid $8.50 per ounce! Yikes! This stuff must be like gold! Well, if it works like a miracle I suppose you might justify the high price. If you call the manufacturer, you will probably change your mind. This poor guy suffers because people can't afford his product all because the pharmacy marks it up so much. My mom was so spittin' mad that she decided to contact the hospital to make sure they are buying directly from the manufacturer. Do you know how much money is wasted in this world because of stuff like this? How much suffering could be relieved if big business didn't have to make such huge profits?! Now I have nothing against people who make a lot of money...if they are working for it. Dave Ramsey, financial guru, had a great article online recently that talked about people who whine about those making a lot of money. It's called Butt Scratching and Bass Fishing and you can read it here. Do read it as it sure gives you something to think about. Don't be deceived into thinking that is what is going on here. We are talking a mark up of 6 times the cost! Wait, that isn't even entirely right. That is just the mark up from comparing one business to another. That isn't comparing the cost of the product if you are buying wholesale. And might I mention that my mom currently lives in the south. I almost expect high prices for certain products here in the Pacific Northwest. When ever I have visited them, I was surprised at price differences. I'm still amazed at this incident.

So I decided to go to the Calmoseptine website to check it out. Here are some of the things this product helps with...

Protects and helps heal
skin irritations from:

  • Incontinence of urine or feces
  • Feeding tube leakage
  • Minor burns, scrapes
  • Fecal or vaginal fistulas
  • Wound drainage
  • Diaper rash
  • Moisture, such as perspiration

If you or a loved one suffers from any of the above conditions, you might want to try the Calmoseptine. If the pharmacy in your area charges ridiculous prices, call up the owner and buy direct. You do have to buy in bulk but for the money my mom saved, it was worth it.

Also, if you feel so led, please pass this information on. Write a blog on it or copy mine (just give me credit for it please). The idea is to get the information out to the public who could benefit from purchasing directly from the company. Thanks.

No comments: