Thursday, July 10, 2008

Wordly Wednesday, Thankful Thursday

I originally intended to post this on a Wednesday. That will be "quote day". It sat as a draft for a week and I am don't want to wait to post it. So here it is...

"Reflect on your present blessings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
--Charles Dickens

This quote really gives you something to think about. It's so easy to dwell on the negative. As a matter of fact, our society, being media driven, appears to train us to dwell on the negative. If it isn't sensationalism, it's not worth reporting. Occasionally I read an article that focuses on something wonderful or positive but that doesn't seem to be the focus. Drama, drama, drama. I think Dickens had it right though.

If you look at your life, I mean seriously look at it, for most of us in the United States of America, our blessings far out weigh our misfortunes. And how many of us take the time to reflect on our present blessings? I know that I get so wrapped up in all that I am doing that I forget to just stop and take time to be thankful. I'm not talking about drive by thankfulness either. You know, the kind where the words slip out of your mouth and you say something like, "I'm so thankful the toast landed jelly side up!" Although for moms, sometimes that is truly a moment to rejoice. Especially if it is only 8am and your day already seems to be going to the dogs.

Occasionally when the world is falling down around you, it may take a little more effort to be thankful. Take a closer look at your life. Do you have someone who loves you? A spouse, a child, a mother, or a friend? Do you have your health? Your health isn't so good? How about the fact that you are still alive which means there is time to do something to improve your health? There might be a lot of things wrong in your world, but take Dicken's advice. What are you grateful for?

No comments: