Monday, August 25, 2008

How forgetful are you?

I'm starting to wonder about the whole "memory going bad the older you get" thing. Perhaps it's because I seem to be forgetting things that I would normally remember. You know, little things like, say, forgetting to pick up your child...for instance. Not just once. Actually it was two different days and each day was a different child. Does that count in the same way?

Now in my defense, both children were perfectly safe so don't go calling CPS on me. Of course some of you don't even know my real name so I feel a bit safer.

It really is due to distraction. The problem is, I seem to be more distracted the older I get. For example, that weekend of the California Achievement Testing and the non-test assessments that I coordinated. It took some effort to pull that off. There were a few little glitches that I didn't anticipate. Over all, it turned out pretty well. Lucy's assessment was the first one of Saturday. After that, I ran her over to a friend's house so that she didn't have to sit around being bored for several hours. That was the last day of testing so once we were done, it felt like it was time to cel.e.brate. Oh yeh, oh yeh! So that being said, I was 3/4ths the way home before I realized that Lucy was not in the car with us. I felt really bad because I had told my friend I would be done at a certain time which of course was long past. I immediately called her on my cell. Don't worry Washingtonians, I was using my bluetooth and the new law had not gone into effect yet anyway. As I apologized profusely for forgetting my child and thus being really late, my friend just cracked up. I'm thankful she found it funny and wasn't mad that I was such a delinquent.

Then there was the day that Susan had something going on at the library. It was last month so I don't remember all the details. I just remember that I was well past the library before remember it was MY job to pick her up. Lucky for me, the library is a safe place, the librarians know us and Susan loves to read. If not for those things, I would have been in deep doo doo. I'm talking about picking her up about 2 hours later than originally planned. Oh yeh, I remember, it was a shopping and latte date with a friend that I hadn't seen in awhile. Who would have known we would be gone that long? Perhaps I shouldn't admit that. The shopping was at a thrift store so you know that takes longer, right? As long as Susan and the librarians were not unhappy, I'm okay right?

I'm hoping it's not like early Alzheimer's or something. If it is, I'll have to get my act together and go back to being an 85% raw foodist. Not sure I'm ready for that again. That lack of self discipline thing.

Anyone else dealing with memory issues?

2 comments:

Deena Marie said...

I remember going to a family reunion a few years ago. I saw someone whom I thought to be my Aunt Sharron. I went over and gave her a big hug and realized it wasn't my Aunt Sharron. The whole next hour I spent trying to remember this lifetime close family member's name. I knew she came over to my home as a kid every year and we even spent holiday's together at times. Finally, I had to ask my husband who she was. How embarassing is that? Since then, I have feared forgetting names to closer family members. What if I really, truly, forgot my children's names?

Mrs. Pevensie said...

Well, I think you are too young to forget their names any time soon. You still see them every day (unlike that family member that came over when you were a kid). As soon as you forget MY name, I'll be telling you it's time to take some memory medicine though. :P