Wednesday, March 4, 2009

In the artsy mood.

Do you ever reflect on how different your life is from what you originally thought it would be? I've been doing that lately. Nothing like three days of a low-grade fever to give you some time for reflection.

When I think back to the days when my oldest was getting to "school age", I had visions of a household with no TV, music constantly playing (various types but plenty of classical of course) and a plethora of books laying about to be picked up at a whim. Let's not forget the availability of art supplies and the possibilities of creating at a moments notice.

That's not my reality. My house is cluttered well filled but with toys, dvds, and other miscellaneous objects. And for someone who is musically inclined, my home is rarely filled with music. What about all of the piano proteges I was going to give birth too? Or that family orchestra I was sure to have? Or the four part harmony I envisioned wafting throughout my house as we so joyfully did our chores? Where are the "Von Pevensie Family" singers?

At first glance, one could consider this a travesty and fall into a deep depression. The thing is, this current reality could change at a moments notice. It's about choices, right? Everything in life is. Just because a television actually resides in my home, it doesn't mean we have to turn it on. So we haven't done Art in a long time...we can start today...or rather tomorrow since it is 11pm at night. Tomorrow is a new day!

So I've decided to make a change tomorrow. It may last for just one day or perhaps for a week or longer. For sure we are going to "create" something new tomorrow. I have several projects in my mind but I think we will start simple. I will choose a card from the Usborne Activity Cards, 50 Things to Draw & Paint, that I dug out today and just "go for it". Nothing fancy, nothing exotic, simply a little painting activity. It's a start, it's a new beginning.

So is anyone out there reflecting on things they would like to change in their lives? It's not too late to make a change. Anyone want to join me in "moving in a new direction"? If so, leave me a comment. Tell me what it is you are changing for at least one day. I would love to encourage you!

No comments: