Wednesday, October 22, 2008

That had to hurt!

I don't know which chicken popped out that egg but you know it had to hurt. I have never seen a chicken egg as large as this one in my life. Of course most of my eggs-perience comes from the ones purchased at the grocery store so what does that tell you? Boring. Nearly all the same size and for most of my life the only ones I saw were white. I am a color gal and I like variety. It's way more fun wondering how many teal ones we'll get today.

The other day I came home, opened the refrigerator and my jaw nearly hit the ground. Here's what I saw.
It's hard to tell exactly how large that egg is in this picture. Those 3 "little" eggs are normal size eggs. I'm thinking that is the equivalent of giving birth to a 14 lb baby. I mean you just look at it and say, "Ouch!" My first thought was what bird could have gotten into the coop and laid that egg? Let's see...my only choices would be quail (nope, too small), pheasant (could they have big eggs?) or...one of my chickens. It didn't take long to figure out it had to be one of our chickens but Yowza! I can't imagine.


So here is Edmund holding a normal size (not boring white) egg. That looks pretty normal in is tiny hands, right?














Here is Monster Egg in those same tiny hands.
Get the idea? Crazy huh? Have you ever seen such a thing? If you have, I sure hope you'll comment.













So are you curious about what is inside that thing? We sure were. I wondered just how many yolks were in this one! Well, you're in luck because I had my handy dandy camera near by when Peter accidentally turned and cracked the egg on the refrigerator handle. He said the shell was fairly soft. I have yet to do some research to find out if a wrinkled looking egg is the sign that this was the first egg a chicken laid. We've had wrinkled looking eggs before but they aren't real common in our coop. Can you imagine your first baby being HUGE? Oh sure, I know it happens but I can't imagine it being me. Oh shoot. Obviously I'm not a computer wiz because I thought I downloaded this as a larger picture. I really wanted you to be able to see up close what was inside. The contents of this bowl are what came out of the monster egg. I'm not sure you can tell but that is the white, the yolk and a whole 'nother egg...as in you are looking at the shell. Weird. It's elongated and that shell was extremely tough. I gave it to a guest who happened to be here and asked her to crack it so we could see what was inside that one.I'm not sure what startled our friend but the egg ended up on the counter top. As you can see, it only held egg white. Hmm. So I don't know what this all means but it sure made for an interesting moment in time. How many people can say that they've seen a whole egg inside another egg? Well, anyone who reads this can. So if you've seen this before, please comment because I just gotta know! This is pretty interesting stuff for a "girl from town".

I did have to laugh because of my friend Deena Marie's comment on the last post. What was it? Something about not liking the idea of cracking open an egg that might have something more than yolk in it? I'm laughing because I almost posted back that if you get the eggs right away (we collect every day ya' know), you don't have to worry about finding a partially formed chick (ew!). Who would have thought that there were other options?

4 comments:

Melissa said...

So after reading your blog, I was so curious that I googled eggs inside of another egg. Apparently it is rare, but has happened recently in Japan and in the East coast. I read that it had to do with hen being stressed and that's what can cause it! Pretty crazy!

Mrs. Pevensie said...

Cool! We're rare!

I can tell you that my hens get pretty stressed out when my dog goes chasing after them. If it was stress, I'm amazed we don't get these eggs EVERY week. I'm so glad you looked it up and shared the info!

schuymom said...

going to have to find out more about your chickens. Sound like a great project for all the Pevensie's.

Mrs. Pevensie said...

I'll tell you all about them - what do you want to know? I'm sure Jen can give you my email if you want to get lengthy. Schuy could have a field trip and visit too.